Monday, September 29, 2008

Sleeping and Eating

I've recently become a HUGE fan of sleep. I've noticed extra and consitent sleep have allowed me to increase my training volume significantly (I'm in the 15-20 hours a week range these days) and feel pretty good and fresh often. I believe during and post workout nutrition also are HUGE factors in making this work. I came across this article that talks about sleep and eating on Trifuel. That being said they re-suggest an often heard comment about not eating before bed, but actually give some science to it that might be interesting to some out there. Here's a little exceprt:


"It seems that the amount of [hGH] release from the pituitary gland will be minimal or perhaps even totally neutralized in the presence of elevated insulin, free fatty acids, or high blood sugar, all of which obviously result from eating. According to one of the researchers, Dr. Misner, 'allowing the body to settle into a fasting state(5) 3 hours prior to bedtime totally clears gastric-related digestive activity, allowing the maximum 5-pulsatile human growth hormone [hGH] bolus to be released from the pituitary gland."


So maybe it's not just for loosing weight, but having a clear stomach may increase rebuilding which clearly uses calories.

No comments: