Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Large Hadron Colider @ Cern, Black Holes, and Investment Opportunities oh my!

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will be turned on tomorrow! This is the new most powerful particle accelerator in the world will be used to search for the Higgs Boson. My summary is that this particle explains how massless quanta of light called photons can travel at the speed of light but also convert to massed physical particles subject to the more typical laws of nature.

It's a BIG missing piece of the puzzle, and it's existence will substantiate the Standard Model of Particle Physics which is basically the theory of everything. That is, except for gravity which is only attempted to be unified in wacky multi-dimensional things like String Theory and even M-Theory, though solving these questions will require accelerators bigger then the world or a Paradigm shift which I think is coming.

Some people think turning on this accelerator at the levels specified will destroy the world by creating miniature black holes that will basically suck in the world leading to the end of the world. These mini black holes were first theorized by Stephen Hawking I believe. I'm not to worried, and will be sleeping soundly tonite.

I'm more interested in the financial impact. Does anyone know how much juice (power) this thing is going to suck down? I know it's going to be one of the most intensive users of bandwidth as they send out the experimental data to research institutes all over the world. I wonder if that will be a perceptible percentage increase in worldwide Bandwidth from one application? Could this be the application that vets high speed networks that we'll use in the future for our TV and everything else?

I know right now the world economy is looking poor, but I've always said that the internet is NOT going away, and Bandwidth usage will probably never stop going up in the foreseeable future. I will be looking for investment opportunities based on this event.




Web Counter

No comments: