Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ironman Cozumel

I wanted to wait a couple of months to sign up for Ironman Cozumel. I wanted to get past Austin before I made that jump even though I was pretty certain I wanted to do it. Oh well, caution's out the window. It appeared to fill up 50% these first couple weeks it was available so I just signed up yesterday.


14 months and counting. In last month's downtime while slightly ill and injured I used my time by planning forward the next couple years. I decided that after Austin I was going to focus on 6 weeks of cutting weight and chilling out a little bit, followed by a full Friel training cycle planned backwards from Wildflower next year. I figured after the last year of mostly working the run (and improving tremendously) it's time to get back to working on the bike. And, wildflower has a pretty ridiculous bike course. My coach uses the training peaks software but I keep a spreadsheet that goes beyond the next training cycle, and I hadn't yet figured out what exactly to do after. I had a lot of events penciled in to think about, but then the email came from Jean Claude, my triathlon club president about Ironman Cozumel.


I'm not really going to start worrying about it too much just yet. First, the Chicago Triathlon this week should be good. I'm thinking 25 minute swim TOPS if I tuck in for a nice draft and save my energy. 22mph on the bike should give me a 1:08 bike split, and leave me enough energy to run a solid sub 50 minute 10K. If I don't blow it on transitions I should easily coast under 2:30, and perhaps if I get an extra 0.5mph on the bike and say run 8:00 miles instead of 8:30 I could get under 2:25, but we'll see. Then my real focus for this year was the Austin half anyway.


Then Wildflower, THEN Ironman. I have a while yet. But it already looms. The clock is ticking......

No comments: