Friday, July 25, 2008

It's Time

So I've pretty much decided. Whether or not I make it or not is completely irrelevant. I have the potential, and inclination, and after reading this Popular Science article about Andy Potts this week I'm gonna make a run for it before I get too old.

As some of you may know I've embarked down the Mental/Physical/Spiritual Journey of Triathlon. Last year was my first full year, and I dropped 60lbs. while gaining some pretty solid bike fitness. This year I've begun using scientific testing to guide my training, and also hired a coach to assist in my training, continued cutting the weight (currently around 197 from my all time peak of 265), and started focusing more on recovery and nutrition. Ken at the fitstop has helped me immensely to balance training and recovery, and also to debunk myths and claims I come across in my research, as well as to plan my events. I know it can't last forever, but my improvement these last few months has been nothing short of amazing.

I'm now going to make it my stated goal to be able to become competitive within my age group, and be able to hold my own with Elites in the next 2 years. I know there may be limitations but it's not going to be my determination, or mental fortitude. I know that genetic factors can play a role, and of course like it says in the article chance matter as well. Let's see what happens now that it's out in the open.

No comments: